You can incorporate music easily by using songs that you find on youtube, create your own songs, use common early education songs, or using some of the resources that you already have in your toolbox from working with kids in person.
WAYS I USE MUSIC IN SPEECH THERAPY:
- Teach New Language Concepts including Prepositions
- Target Vocabulary Around the Theme/Category
- Auditory Bombardment for Sounds
- Teaching Manner and Placement for Sound Production
RESOURCES THAT I USE IN TELETHERAPY:
- Silly Songs for Phonology & Sound Awareness by Beverly Baker – You can share your screen for the pictured pages to sing along with the cd.
- Lively Letters App by Telian-Cas Learning Concepts Inc in the Apple Store –
- Using Music to Promote Learning for Preschool, Early Childhood, and Kindergarten by Songs for Teaching
- Check Teachers for Teachers for sing along resources and boom card decks
USE PICTURE BOOKS
I have read aloud and used storybooks for literacy-based therapy during teletherapy in the same way that I do when conducting in-person circle time. It still works; however, there are definitely pros and cons to you holding up the book and reading it aloud to your students.
PROS TO READING ALOUD with ACTUAL BOOK:
- Read at a slower rate with more clarity.
- Pause as needed to respond to questions, ask questions, etc…
- Draw student attention to the picture representation for vocabulary and concepts.
CONS TO READING ALOUD with ACTUAL BOOK:
- Without screening sharing, students are unable to use the mouse for receptive identification tasks
- Students are unable to highlight words that contain their sound, or the concept they are working on.
FREE and PAID RESOURCES to LOCATE STORIES and STORYBOOKS for TELETHERAPY
- Children’s Books Read Aloud Online on Youtube
- Storyline Online
- Indianapolis Public Library Free Video Read Alouds
- Story Place
ENGAGE THEM WITH INTERACTIVE GREEN SCREEN ACTIVITIES
Although I have been providing teletherapy services for years, last year was the first time I began to use green screen opportunities and they were a hit! Not only did my smaller friends love the interactive nature of green screen activities but my older elementary students also enjoyed it! I was able to facilitate student-led play therapy sessions, speech-language sorting activities, functional request tasks, and so much more!
GREEN SCREEN RESOURCES for TELETHERAPY
- Green Screen Speech Therapy Facebook Group by Play Spark
- Dramatic Play and Thematic Units with Green Screen
SCREEN SHARING FAVORITE APPS
Initially, I use to screen share my tablet a lot. Now, I feel that I have a lot of other resources available at my fingertips to keep my littlest friends engaged. That being said, I still have little friends that ask for certain “games” again and again. Since they result in a lot of speech and language practice, I consider them one of the most consistent tools in my toolbelt.
FAVORITE APPS for TELETHERAPY
I use the apple store. However, in case you use a different type of tablet or phone, I am just listing the apps so that you can look them up in whatever app store you use.
- Toddler Seek & Find Picture Book Apps by Wonderland: Little Town, My Animals, Tiny Farm, Tiny Airport, Tiny Pirate, Tiny Builders, Animal Circus, Firefighters
- Swapsies by Little Robot: Jobs, Sports
- My PlayHome: My PlayHome Plus, My PlayHome, PlaySchool, PlayStore, PlayHospital
PUPPETS ARE ALWAYS FUN
Do not be afraid to be silly with your littlest friends. Kids love puppets and if you tilt the camera just right, it can actually look like you have a puppet friend sitting right beside you making them seem all the more real!
- Marvel Education Company Multi-Ethnic Career Puppets for Kids, Set of 6
- Robot Hand Puppet by Silly Puppets
ONLINE GAMES & BOOM CARDS
I typically use these online games and online coloring pages to initially build rapport and to reinforce positive sessions. I love watching their eyes light up when they share with me that their favorite tv show is _____, and then I pull up a coloring page or a game featuring the characters from that show! There are also a lot of wonderful BOOM Cards created for the little ones in mind!