I enjoy International Talk Like a Pirate Day as much as my students. To be honest, I enjoy it so much that I turn it from a one-day event into a one or two-week event! I get into it too by dressing up in my pirate hat and my eye patch (as long as I can stand it). One of my favorite childhood memories in school was my math and science teacher, Mr. Larson, dressing up as a mad scientist and playing the part. I hold on to that memory and I have incorporated being silly and dressing up into my therapy sessions whenever I can! Talk Like a Pirate Day is the perfect time to do so!
For full disclosure, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases for my favorite books or games listed below. I have them linked below in case you are interested in expanding your resources for this theme. Other links, to freebies, songs, videos, and online games are not affiliated links.
I wanted to share with you pirate-themed resources that you can incorporate into your own therapy sessions and make planning therapy that much simpler for you!
PIRATE THEMED BOOKS for LITERACY-BASED THERAPY:
- The Grumpy Pirate by Corinne Demas
- Pirates Go To School by Corinne Demas
- Are Pirates Polite? by Corinne Demas & Artemis Roehrig
- Grandma and the Pirates by Phoebe Gilman
- Pirates Don’t Change Diapers by Melinda Long
- How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long
- The Pirates Next Door by Johnny Duddle
- There Was an Old Pirate Who Swallowed a Map by Lucille Colandro
PIRATE THEMED RESOURCES:
- Pirate: No Prep Speech & Language- Target the most common articulation errors in all word positions and in mixed pages, and language skills such as functions, verbs, synonyms, and categories using dice and spinner games.
- Pirate Articulation Mystery Pictures- Target articulation in all word positions and with mixed positions pages while practicing fine motor skills. This resource is perfect with mixed groups, extra practice at home, or as a resource within your speech and language station.
- Pirate: Articulation Crack the Code- Target articulation sounds in all word positions by cracking the code with three different levels of difficulty. When done, students can also decode the positive secret message.
- No Print Articulation & Language Book Companion: How I Became a Pirate- Target the most common articulation errors, receptive identification, expressive vocabulary, compare/contrast, sentence formulation, wh-questions, sequencing, narratives, and so much more!
- Pirate Play: Open-Ended Games– Great way to reinforce student behavior and engagement while targeting skills.
- Prepositions & Pronouns on Pirate Island- Target these skills using bingo games, no prep dauber pages, dice games, and manipulative mats with sentence strips.
PIRATE THEMED SONGS:
- If You Want to Be a Pirate Song by The Kidboomers – Kids Music Channel
- Over the Deep Blue Sea by Super Simple Songs
- Silly Pirate Song by Jack Hartmann Kids Music Channel
- We are the Pirates by Bounce Patrol – Kids Songs
PIRATE THEMED VIDEOS:
PIRATE THEMED BOARD GAMES (BG) and ONLINE GAMES (O):
- Pirate Talk Receptive and Expressive Language Game by Super Duper (BG)
- Pop Up Pirate by Tomy (BG)
- Don’t Rock the Boat by Play Monster (BG)
- Operation Pirate Jake and the Neverland Pirates Edition by Hasbro (BG)
- Peg + Cat Hungry Pirates (O)- Turn the volume down so that students can give you instructions on finding the treasure chest. Students can also target sentence formulation and asking/answering wh-questions about the scene that pops up after they find the treasure chest.
- Pirate-themed Educational Games on Baamboozle (O) – target vocabulary, vocalic -ar words, story comprehension, etc..
PIRATE THEMED FREEBIES:
- Pirate Positional Vocabulary: Boom Cards by Ms Gardenia’s Speech Room
- Pirate Visual Scenes by The Forever SLP
- Pirate-Themed 50 Trials Boom Cards by Speechie Adventures
- Pirate Shanty Vocabulary Activity by Ivy League Language
- I Have Who Has Pirate Emotions and Feelings Game by Communication Blessings
- 10 Pirate Freebies for Speech & Language Therapy
- 5 Freebies: Talk Like a Pirate Day