Halloween is my favorite holiday and I love pulling in Halloween-themed resources into our sessions! Again, I think it goes back to the enjoyment of dressing up and being silly. Halloween definitely brings out my inner child and the laughter of my students makes my day!
For full disclosure, as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases for my favorite books or games listed below. I have them linked below in case you are interested in expanding your resources for this theme. Other links, to freebies, songs, videos, and online games are not affiliated links. Below you will find my favorite Halloween-themed resources and activities to incorporate into my own therapy sessions. Hopefully, by sharing with you, you will find some additional tools for your speech toolbelt.
HALLOWEEN THEMED BOOKS for LITERACY-BASED THERAPY:
- Turkey Trick or Treat by Wendi Silvano
- Bone Soup by Alyssa Satin Capucilli
- The Hallo-Weiner by Dav Pilkey
- Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson
- Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverman
- Skeleton Hiccups by Margery Cuyler
- Click, Clack, Boo by Doreen Cronin and Besy Lewin
- Inside a House that is Haunted by Alyssa Satin Capucilli
- There Was an Old Lady that Swallowed a Ghost by Lucille Colandro
- Where’s My Mummy by Carolyn Crimi
Check out this blog post with three other Halloween Books that you may be interested in! Halloween Books for Speech Therapy
HALLOWEEN THEMED RESOURCES:
- Spooktacular: No Prep Speech & Language- Target the most common articulation errors in all word positions and in mixed pages, and language skills such as functions, verbs, synonyms, and categories using dice and spinner games.
- Halloween Articulation Mystery Pictures- Target articulation in all word positions and with mixed positions pages while practicing fine motor skills. This resource is perfect with mixed groups, extra practice at home, or as a resource within your speech and language station.
- Halloween Language Builder- This resource targets vocabulary, recalling sentences and details, answering wh-questions, following 1-3 step directions, descriptive concepts, inferencing, and more!
- Find Articulation and Follow Directions: Halloween- Target articulation skills by searching for hidden words scattered in the pictured scenes using a magnifying glass, follow 2 step temporal directions, and answer wh-questions about the pictured scenes. There is also additional information on ways that you can use this resource to target additional goals.
- Bundled Ghosts: Speech and Language Crafts– Target articulation, language, phonology, and apraxia goals with cute ghost crafts that can be used to decorate the speech room and later sent home for practice.
- Halloween: Map, Mash, & Mark Conversational Exchange- Map out conversation based by common interests, what you know of your audience, and track your conversational exchange.
- Halloween: Open-Ended Games– Great way to reinforce student behavior and engagement while targeting skills.
- Prepositions & Pronouns in Halloween Town- Target these skills using bingo games, no prep dauber pages, dice games, and manipulative mats with sentence strips.
HALLOWEEN THEMED SONGS:
- Down by the Spooky Bay by Super Simple Songs
- Knock Knock, Trick or Treat by Super Simple Songs
- This is the Way on Halloween by Bounce Patrol
- Halloween Stomp by The Singing Walrus
- Five Creepy Spiders by Super Simple Songs
- Five Little Ghosts by Super Simple Songs
HALLOWEEN THEMED VIDEOS:
- Halloween Trivia for Kids by Homeschool Pop
- Where did Halloween Come From by Colossal Cranium
- Why do We Celebrate Halloween by Hey! Guess What
- Halloween Facts for Kids by Homeschool Pop
- Halloween Around the World by Educational Videos for Students
HALLOWEEN THEMED BOARD GAMES (BG) and ONLINE GAMES (O):
- Max Fun Inflatable Witch Hat and Spider Ring Toss by the Max Fun Store
- Halloween Bean Bag Toss by ThinkMax Store
- Pin the Spider on the Web by the Funnlot Store
- Halloween Foam Bowling Set by JOYin Store
- Halloween Charades by Anton Publications (BG)
- Arthur’s Trick or Treats by PBS Kids (O)
- Halloween Story Game by Yad.com (O)
- Halloween Breaker by CBC (O)
- Trick or Trait by RoomRecess.com (O)
- Scooby Doo Haunted House by Game Kid Game (O)
- Zombilliards by Game Kid Game (not for younger kids) (O)
HALLOWEEN THEMED FREEBIES:
- Halloween Verbs by WhitneySLP
- Halloween Open-Ended Boom Cards Game by Mia McDaniel
- Halloween Social Narrative & Awareness Cards by me
- Halloween Grammar Boom Cards by Miss B SLP
- Would You Rather Halloween Boom Cards by SpeechBop
- Halloween Riddles by Major Speech Minor Girl
- Halloween Exit Slips for Articulation, Language, and Social Language by Creative Speech Lab
- 10 Halloween Freebies by TLC Talk SLP
- 10 MORE Halloween Freebies by TLC Talk SLP
- Halloween Books for Literacy-based Learning with Cheat Sheet